Parish Churches and Places of Worship
Built in the second half of the 14th century.
Forms a group parish with Brackenfield, Holy Trinity and Wessington, Christ Church.
Reputedly built in the 11th century.
The parish includes Hackenthorpe, Birley and Sothall Waterthorpe.
Parish registers date from 1653. They are in good condition.
Records are in the Sheffield Archives and on microfiche in Eckington Library. Memorial inscriptions transcribed to Sheffield archives.
A dedication stone in the wall of the Chapel is inscribed ‘United Free Methodist Chapel’.
Founded in 1899.
Mount Zion was founded as a Methodist chapel, built in 1827.
The premises moved in 1906 to the present building, which has ‘Primitive Methodist Church 1906’ outlined in brick on the facade, above the large north window. .
The oldest non conformist chapel in Chesterfield. The Old Meeting House was built in 1695.
The first reference to the building as ‘The Unitarian Chapel’ comes from a tradesman’s bill dated 1818.
A dedication stone in the wall is inscribed:
‘Primitive Methodist Chapel erected 1824, enlarged 1870.’
Part of the Staveley parish until 1724.
Church reputed to date from 1150. Restored in the late 18th century. Extended and further restored from 1870 to 1920.
The current church was built in 1857, replacing an older building from around 1500.
Originated as a chapel to Morton parish, but became a parish in 1844.
Consecrated in 1832 to meet the needs of the rapidly growing population of the Old Brampton parish.
The new parish was created from the Eastern part of Old Brampton and part of the parish of Chesterfield.
Built in 1900 and recently refurbished.
This building replaces an earlier methodist church opened in the early 19th century.
It is believed there has been a church on this site since about 1250.
Parts of the current church date from the 14th century. The North Transept was rebuilt in 1769, and was further restored in 1843.
The building is grade 1 listed.
Parish records survive from 1558. Most are available on microfilm from LDS Family History Libraries.
Bishops Transcripts are also available.
Records are held at the Derbyshire County Record Office.
Opened in 1838. Well known as the final resting place of the railway engineer George Stephenson who died ten years later.
Created a Parish in 1867
Join Here Today
Chesterfield & District Family History Society aims to be one of the country’s leading and most forward thinking ‘Family History Societies’.
Providing a strong base to enable our members to develop and grow as ‘Family History’ researchers.
We aim to foster a positive experience and environment, through creative and innovative, and related services for our members.